E77: Psychedelic Science 2017 & Legalizing Psychedelic Therapy with Rick Doblin PhD of MAPS
This week, Dr. Kelly welcomes Rick Doblin PhD back to Lucid Planet Radio to discuss the work that MAPS (the Multidisciplinary Association of Psychedelic Studies) is doing in 2017 and beyond. Dr. Kelly and Rick Doblin explore some of the most pressing and important issues in Psychedelic Science including:
- What Rick thinks the new president & administration could mean for psychedelic science and legalizing psychedelic therapy (it might not be what you’d expect!) as well as the regulatory challenges faced by MAPS when studying Schedule 1 substances
- The timeline for FDA Phase 3 clinical trials for MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD, including a potentially exciting new collaborating with Harvard University
- New Applications and Research Studies MAPS is currently involved in, including MDMA assisted psychotherapy for COUPLES where only one member of the dyad has PTSD
- New Research on the therapeutic applications of marijuana for PTSD, including ending the Federal stronghold of marijuana used in efficacy studies
- The huge popularity of MICRODOSING, how it works, as well as the increasing cultural and social acceptance of psychedelics overall
- The importance of psychedelic harm reduction as we move towards a post-prohibition world
- Creative, spiritual and personal growth potential of psychedelics & marijuana to bring about empathy and unity in a divided conflicted world
Rick Doblin is the founder and Executive Director of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to developing psychedelics and marijuana into prescription medicines. Currently MAPS is preparing for FDA-approved Phase 3 Clinical Trials examining the safety and efficacy of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), these are the final round of studies before requesting approval as a FDA-approved treatment, which is anticipated for 2021.
You can catch Rick Doblin, Dr. Kelly and the world’s leading experts at the Psychedelic Science 2017 Conference in Oakland, April 19-24. This is a six-day international gathering featuring three days of conference programming, three full days of workshops, a Sunset Cruise on the San Francisco Bay, the world’s first Psychedelic Comedy Banquet, a free and expansive marketplace of goods and ideas, participant-led Community Sessions, and much more.
At Psychedelic Science 2017, scientists, doctors, therapists, students, educators, policymakers, artists, and others from around the world will come together to share and discover recently completed and ongoing research into the risks and benefits of psychedelics and medical marijuana for science, medicine, spirituality, creativity, and more. Join us at Psychedelic Science 2017 and connect with the expanding global psychedelic science community